• Parental Complaints

Parental Complaints

If you have a concern or complaint...

We would like you to tell us about it. We welcome suggestions for improving our work in the school. Be assured that no matter what you are wanting to tell us, our support and respect for you and your child in the school will not be affected in any way. Please tell us of your concern as soon as possible. It is difficult for us to investigate properly an incident or problem which has happened some time ago.

What to do first

Most concerns can be sorted out quickly by speaking with your child’s class teacher.

Any teacher or the office staff can help you find the right member of staff. If you have a concern which you feel should be looked at by the Headteacher in the first instance you can contact her straightaway if you prefer. It is usually best to discuss the problem face to face. You may need an appointment to do this, and can make one by calling the school office. You can take a someone to the appointment with you if you would like to so that they can support you.

All staff will make every effort to resolve your problem informally. They will make sure that they understand what you feel went wrong, and they will explain their own actions to you. They will ask what you would like the school to do to put things right. Of course, this does not mean that in every case they will come round to your point of view but it will help both you and the school to understand both sides of the question. It may also help to prevent a similar problem arising again.

What to do next

If you are dissatisfied with the initial response from your child’s class teacher you can ask to speak to the member of the Senior Leadership Team (S.L.T.). This will be either Mr Hazzard (Headteacher), Miss Harker (SENCO) or Mrs Dover (Teacher). Please either ask for an appointment via the front office or alternatively put your complaint in writing, addressed to the Headteacher who will investigate the complaint and contact you to provide a suitable time to meet and discuss the issue.

If your complaint is about an action of the Headteacher personally, then you should either refer it to Mr Parker, the Chair of the Local Governing Body whose details are available from the school office.

You may also find it helpful at this stage to have a copy of the full statement of the General Complaints Procedure as this explains in detail what procedures are followed. This is available from the school office.

The Headteacher will ask to meet you for a discussion of the problem. Again you may someone with you if you wish. The Headteacher will conduct a full investigation of the complaint and may interview any members of staff or pupils involved. You will be invited to discuss the Headteacher’s findings and her response to the issues.  You may also receive a written response to the complaint if you wish.

If you are still unhappy

The problem will normally be solved by this stage. However, if you are still not satisfied you may wish to contact the Chair of the Local Governing Body to ask for referral of your complaint to the Complaints Committee of the governing body. It will then be heard by a group of three governors who have no previous knowledge of the problem and so will be able to give it a fresh assessment. You will be invited to attend and speak to the committee at a meeting which the Headteacher will also attend. The General Complaints Procedure statement explains how these meetings operate.